TOOLS OF YOUR OWN UNMAKING
GLOGTOBER GLOGVEMBER Challenge 3, by Semiurge, a real sick fucking freak. His prompt: a list of or generator for cursed items that are more interesting than a -1 sword. I know you guys love lists, so here one is:
1. An amulet made from a pyrite cube with a hole drilled through the middle. The shady guy selling it in the alley claimed that it would "draw the magic right out of ye", and it does. While wearing it, gain +1 MD; each time you roll a six while casting a spell, take six damage as your brain microwaves itself to make more magic. If this kills you, your head catches fire from the inside, leaving it a burnt, hollowed-out wreck.
If you poke some holes in your skull to help vent the heat from your brain, reduce the damage to three. Try not to get any infections and-slash-or brain damage in the process.
2. A mask of yellowed porcelain, with twine threaded through holes in the sides for fastening to a head. The features are vague, like a composite of everyone who has ever lived; a perfectly average face. When worn, the mask grants complete immunity to harmful magic- by shunting the effect off to somebody else, with no Save. The first time, it happens to a total stranger; the second time, someone you've heard of; the third time, someone you've spoken to; the fourth time, someone you personally know; and the fifth time, and every time after, it happens to someone you care about. If you have nobody you care about, the effect hits you.
3. A ring of plain silver, polished to a mirror's edge, never tarnished or stained. The inside is inscribed with fine cursive- for my tireless friend, it says. When you put the ring on, you have a brief vision of looking over your own shoulder, followed by a sudden awareness that there is another you now standing behind you. The Other Self has all of your stats and abilities, but:
- It is invisible, though not intangible. If revealed by magic, the Other Self looks like a statue of you carved out of yellowed fat, with a joint too many on each of its fingers and a mouth haphazardly filled with discarded teeth. The only sounds it ever makes are low chuckles and meaty footsteps.
- It has no equipment, and can carry none but what it can hold in its hands.
- It can cast any spell you know, but uses your MD. Any Mishaps or Dooms it would suffer affect you, instead.